Friday, January 9, 2009

First Word, First Blood

First, the good news. We can now say with confidence that Maya has said her first word. Now, she's been able to communicate well for a while. For instance, when she pointed and said "ma," this meant that she wanted more of what she was pointing at. But, because she didn't really enunciate the word more, I couldn't constitute this as her first word. And, because neither of us wanted to make the other feel bad, we ruled out "mama" and "dada" long ago. (I say that because she doesn't say "dada" much at all.) Once she said her first word, we knew that that was it because it contained more than one consonant so it wasn't necessarily too hard to say. And, because it wasn't an accident--she was actually trying to get our attention. So, have I kept you in suspense long enough? Her first word was "bite." Now, she says this all of the time when hungry...which seems to be all of the time. I don't understand why she is so skinny, though. As my Grandma Violet would say "the wind is gonna blow you away."

Now, the bad news. On New Years Eve, just as we were heading out the door to go to Tommy and Julie's, Maya ran across the hallway, slipped and hit the door hinge smack on her forehead. Blood was gushing, the screaming ensued, and Daddy's beer drinking was delayed. This is where Lezlie and I are different. She is worried about brain damage and reconstructive surgery and I'm thinking that this will "build character." I guess we complement each other well. All in all, Maya stopped crying in less than a minute and the gash was only about a centimeter wide. So, we ended up just putting a band-aid on it and replaced it at Julie's with a butterfly bandage. I wish I had a picture of the wound now. You would definitely laugh, it is hardly noticeable. Can you tell she's our first child?

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad Maya is okay! I still hate it when the girls fall.

You two are tough! I know I heard at least 3 or 4 words from her over the holiday. She can definitely say "more" "mom" (sorry Brandon) "milk" and "hi". Tell her Aunt Susan heard it (while you give her a hug and a kiss from us).