Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two Weekend Getaways

It's good to get away, but it's also good to be home. Two weeks ago, Lezlie and I decided to get away from the kids for one night. I know that sounds ridiculous but its probably the longest we could have made it without seeing our babies. So we made the trip to Cole Camp, stayed Friday night, but then left the kids and headed for Branson for some shopping and the Silver Dollar City Christmas light experience.

I don't want to discourage people from going down to see the lights at Silver Dollar City. But, if you don't like crowds, stay away. I usually like to be in the thick of things, doing what everyone else is doing. But, it was just too much. The people were shoulder to shoulder and the one show I wanted to see (at the Saloon), you had to wait for over an hour in line for. Let's just say it wasn't that important to us. We did see a couple performances. One was absolutely horrible--Cajun Christmas. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or applaud. I'm sounding like a critic. Unfortunately, Lezlie's doctor frowned on her riding rides. But, we did manage to ride "Fire in the Hole." Mainly, we just walked around, enjoyed the atmosphere, ate some very good food, and watched the lighting of the tree. It's not that I wouldn't recommend going, just plan on taking a full day to do it all. Frankly, Lezlie and I don't have that much energy.

After watching the lights, we high-tailed it back to the Branson Landing where we went to a piano Bar named Ernie Biggs. I have been to the one in Springfield and this one was no different. The whole night was entertaining and they played every song we requested. It was better than any show I have seen in Branson. But, maybe the booze helped entertain me??

The next weekend was Thanksgiving. Lezlie and I always look forward to the trail-ride and Lola's. This year, I believe Maya got to thoroughly enjoy it (rather than sleeping on a hay bale like last year). It was extra luxurious this year since Ed and Lola had pimped out our trailor with some world-class seats ripped out of a van. It was truly red-neck and everyone loved it. If only I could have sat in one of those comfortable chairs...

On Friday and Saturday, Maya and Ben got to spend some time with their cousins. I had heard Maya speak of Jo-Jo several times but wasn't sure who she was talking about. Well, now I know that means Jocelyn. Actually, I think she associates that with Jocelyn and Olivia. Maya and I were actually taking a nap together and Josie and Olivia snuck in the room. Maya jumped up, yelled "Jo Jo Jo Jo!!!" and quickly ran off to play. It's unfortunate that Maya and Ben don't get to grow up like I did with all of my cousins close-by, but it is very nice to see that it is just the same.Ben is growing up fast. If you've been keeping up with the facebook photos, you can see that he is becoming quite a chunkster. I keep saying that he is storing up for winter. At most feedings, he takes close to 4 oz, but at times we have had to give him 6 oz. So, things are quite different from Maya--I don't remember Maya drinking 6 oz until she was 6-8 months old. His neck is getting much stronger and he no longer is a "bobble-head". He reacts well to us. At certain parts of the day, he becomes very happy and gives a big wide-mouth smile. I even think he is trying to laugh.Maya has been getting jealous of Ben more lately. A common phrase you will hear from her is "baby seat" meaning "put Ben in the seat and play with me instead." Maya's speach is getting a little better. She speaks full sentences. It's just that you don't understand a word she says. But seriously, we know she is trying harder and we are picking up new words every so often.

1 comment:

Minnie said...

Oh, how precious! Can't wait till Christmas to get my hands on them again.